Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Moto on Donner Pass


This past Saturday we had the bright idea of heading into the hills to find some single track to ride.  We went about 30 miles west of Loveland.  It had been warm in Denver and much of the snow had melted, so we thought it was worth a shot.  As soon as we parked the trucks it started to snow.  There by the time we left about 3 or 4 hours later there was about 2" of snow on the ground.  I met up with 3 guys I had never met before, but they were friends of my buddy Ken and I had heard good things.  We had a great time, but as you will see, there wasn't much single track to be found.


There was hope for a brief amount of time for some descent trail riding.


But it didn't last long. We soon found ourselves in 6" or more of snow pretty much everywhere.


As were were riding up a jeep road we found some hidden ice!  It took 2 of us out in a hurry.  It turned out that the whole section was covered. It was about 10' wide and 50' long and on a slope.  Chris made it up without falling, but Jared and myself weren't so lucky.  Jared fell at least 4 times and I had about the same luck. Every time we would fall we would slide down past the bikes and down the hill.


 Here is a view looking up at the long slide Chris took on his butt.

All in all, it was good to be out riding and a fun time. But I think that might be enough snow riding for the season, unless I have spikes on my tires.


No comments:

Post a Comment