Wednesday, June 17, 2009

DH XC

I have been wanting to put Pam on a DH bike for a while now. I finally gave up looking for a good frame for here and decided to save some $$, so I built up my ASX for her. The frame might be a bit big for her, but the price was right. I put the Fox 40 on it with the light spring, ordered a new 350# for the rear and sent the 5th element out to get a rebuild, they are going to take out the SPV and put in a custom shim stack. Should be back next week, and get to test it all out. But before I sent it out, I took Pam out for a XC ride on it, one where I rode it up and she rode it down. Pretty fair right. I found it super fun on the downhill when I rode it. A super plush 7" fork for XC makes the rough stuff real nice. I felt like the pros look in the DH races, no brakes, just jump in the rock piles and let the fork do its work. I later put the fork into the 8" position, but it wasn't nearly as good for the XC stuff.

We also to it up to Sol Vista for a day of DH. At first she thought it felt funny and wanted to ride my Morewood, which she thought felt better. Then after a few runs she switched back to the ASX and thought they both felt similar and it was all in her head. I found that 8" of super soft fork isn't so good for me off the lips on the jumps. It would compress too much and pitch me funny into the air. We had a good day and she is looking for more DH when the shock comes back.

Pam with ASX at Three Sisters.
My favorite part of the ride, when I was on the ASX I came into a turn way too hot and started a two wheel drift, to a front wheel skid, to a rear wheel hop to washout with a foot down. I thought it was so fun I had to take a picture of my track.


No comments:

Post a Comment