Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Triathlon

Saturday was the Buffalo Creek Xterra Triathlon. It was a sweet day with good temps and overcast skies, the way I like it. Sometimes, the direct Colorado sun is more than I need when biking and such. Christie did the full tri, 1 mi swim, 20 mt bike, 5 mi trail run. Me and Pam did half that. It took me and Pam about 2 hours and Christie about 4 hours.

Pam thinking..."We are going to do what? I thought we were here for pizza!"
Smooth water, 61 degrees. Not too bad at all.
Christie and Pam in their shower caps getting ready.
Not quite Aquaman.
Pam, asking what I think of her with a shaved head.
All those birds on the water are actually arms. Mob swim time. It actually wasn't too bad, only a few feet in my face. The hardest part was swimming in a straight line. I think I covered a about a 100 extra yards zig zagging.
Pam summing it up.
Pam thinking of a smart answer to another one of my smart questions.



Christie, heading out for her 5 miler. It started to rain right after me and Pam finished. Lucky for us, not so lucky for her. But it wasn't too bad. Just another day in the life.
The widest bars with bar-ends on them. I think this guy was from Texas and used to the long horns.
...and DONE.
My swim was better than I expected, the bike should have been a few minutes faster, and the run had my guts all twisted up and having to walk a bunch. I didn't feel so good for a bit after the run, but the cramps finally passed and I got a free lunch, well it was included in the entry fee anyway.
I'm thinking about the full Xterra next year, but that is also a long ways away.
On another note, I was trying to think of how to create my own type of triathlon. I was thinking of a white water swim, trail run, downhill bike, something maybe like Downieville, a 18 mile DH/Super D run. Then Christie found this, guess I wasn't the only one thinking of such things. I will have to get some more info on this one.
http://www.usmultisport.com/EventDetails.aspx?EventID=2089

Then for yet another alternative, there is the Beer-Bike-Bench that is held in Golden each year.
Timed Road bike, Bench press as much as possible, then timed malt liquor chug. Wayne was there this year and said it was pretty sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment